Sunday, January 2, 2011

Prime Up :)

What is an eyeshadow primer? Why is it important to always wear one? Is it really that essential to include in one's makeup routine? In this post I will be answering all three of those questions probably in more detail than necessary! Okay so first off, an eyeshadow primer is a base that you apply to your lid before eyeshadow. It has silicone in it which prevents creasing. It also makes eyeshadow pigments appear more vibrant in color as well as it makes it so your eyeshadows last all day long without fading away. Sometimes eyelids tend to be on the more oily side which hinders from a smooth application of eyeshadow. Using an eye primer mattifies the oil from the lid. Sometimes eyeshadows may even melt if exposed to humid weather and such, although when wearing primer you don't need to worry about that. Not only does primer help with all of those things I have mentioned so far, but it also makes it easier to blend your eyeshadows. Some formulas even out your skintone as well. Most primers are around $20 and last a long time because the size of a rain drop or less covers the entire lid. In other words, a little goes a long way. Once you start to use an eye primer, I guarantee you will never go back because you will surely notice great results. The answer to the last question....YES. It is obviously essential to include in one's makeup routine. I think by now you know why!

I have used Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion in the original sheer nude color in the past, and it worked fine for me at the time. It costs $18, and may be purchased <here>. The thing that bothered me about it was the bottle. It's a genie-like bottle and when you've used a lot of the product up, you can't get it out from the bottom so a lot of the product gets wasted because the brush thing won't let you scoop it out! I felt like part of my money was wasted. I then set out to find a new primer.


I heard amazing reviews about the Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer. It also costs $18 and may be purchased <here>. I went out and bought it hoping it would be everything I wanted. After using this product daily, I have come to love this primer so much and I feel like it works better than the Urban Decay one. No product is wasted and it has just pleased me so much. I bring it with me everywhere and cannot imagine getting ready without it. So, to all of you guys that are new to the world of eyeshadow primers...I highly recommend you investing in one! (Preferably the Too Faced Primer that I have raved about). If there is anyone who has used any of primers that you would like me to know about please give me your feedback as I'd love to hear what you guys all wear!


Just in case you were wondering, I still am interested in trying a few other primers just to see if anything beats my Too Faced one. Here's a list of some that I want to check out! (P.S. if you use any of these please let me know how they work for you!)

-Lemon-Aid Eyelid Primer by Benefit May be purchased here for $20
-Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base by NARS May be purchased here for $24
-Photo Finish Lid Primer by Smashbox May be purchased here for $20
-Prep + Prime Eye by MAC May be purchased here for $16.50

No comments:

Post a Comment